Task: Linux user without home

As per the task, I am supposed to create a user by name james under app1.

This blog has examples of accomplishing this task.

Accordingly, I have executed the commands.

Man page for useradd:

https://linux.die.net/man/8/useradd

While I am verifying my results. I see james is created under /home directory.

am I reading this output correctly?

Hi,

This seems correct. To verify also check if there is any directory created under /home for this user.

Thanks
Inderpreet

Thank you Inderpreet. Looks like I am good to go.

1 Like

Hi Inderpreet,

I did use the same command

useradd -M kareem

but still when submitted the Task it comes failed.

Could you please guide on what was done wrong here ? Thanks.

Regards,
Munjal

Hi Munjal,

Technically your answer is correct. The reason task failed for you is, you created a file /home/kareem manually hence that was considered as home of user kareem because in passwd home directory of user is /home/kareem. We updated checks a little to handle such scenarios and marking your answer as SUCCESS.

Hi Inderpreet,

Thanks for your reply. Yes After I ran the command to create a user “useradd -M kareem” , I tried to copy a file to that directory to confirm that the directory does not exist.

In spite of using the command “useradd -M kareem” or with other username, the /etc/passwd still shows a /home dir for all users that were created,

[steve@stapp02 ~] sudo useradd -M munjal [steve@stapp02 ~] sudo useradd amit
[steve@stapp02 ~] [steve@stapp02 ~]
[steve@stapp02 ~] sudo cat /etc/passwd root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash bin:x:1:1:bin:/bin:/sbin/nologin daemon:x:2:2:daemon:/sbin:/sbin/nologin adm:x:3:4:adm:/var/adm:/sbin/nologin lp:x:4:7:lp:/var/spool/lpd:/sbin/nologin sync:x:5:0:sync:/sbin:/bin/sync shutdown:x:6:0:shutdown:/sbin:/sbin/shutdown halt:x:7:0:halt:/sbin:/sbin/halt mail:x:8:12:mail:/var/spool/mail:/sbin/nologin operator:x:11:0:operator:/root:/sbin/nologin games:x:12:100:games:/usr/games:/sbin/nologin ftp:x:14:50:FTP User:/var/ftp:/sbin/nologin nobody:x:99:99:Nobody:/:/sbin/nologin systemd-network:x:192:192:systemd Network Management:/:/sbin/nologin dbus:x:81:81:System message bus:/:/sbin/nologin sshd:x:74:74:Privilege-separated SSH:/var/empty/sshd:/sbin/nologin ansible:x:1000:1000::/home/ansible:/bin/bash steve:x:1001:1001::/home/steve:/bin/bash kareem:x:1002:1002::/home/kareem:/bin/bash munjal:x:1003:1003::/home/munjal:/bin/bash <<------- amit:x:1004:1004::/home/amit:/bin/bash <<---------- [steve@stapp02 ~]
[steve@stapp02 ~]$

user munjal and amit both showed the home dir in /etc/passwd. Is something wrong in my interpretation ?

Thanks for marking success for the task.

Regards,
Munjal

Hi @munjalbarasara

Your answer is correct, this option is used to skip the home directory creation i.e in your case /home/kareem directory was not be created but you still see the default home of user in passwd and that is fine as per requirements mentioned in the question.

Thanks for the info. :slight_smile:

How can I get a sudo or user password?

Hi @Surendar

Please look for wiki under project in your KKE dashboard.