PSA: It pays to re-read the task description

It took 54 tasks, but I have to admit that I’m really disappointed in myself for failing my first task on such an easy one. This just shows that it’s worth taking the extra time to re-read the task description (and maybe increase my font size)…
Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 10.18.27 PM

As you’ll note, I clearly knew what I was doing - I’ve just spent way too much time looking at Java code… :stuck_out_tongue:

Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 10.18.40 PM

1 Like

I had similar issue with bash script used for archive Tar instead of zip. I do not know but for me archived file is tared. The hint was file name they asked for .zip not .tgz :slight_smile:

1 Like

@andrzej, great minds think alike… :slight_smile:

which tgz
tgz: aliased to tar cvfpz

I think it makes sense, for those who’ve developed a lot of “muscle memory” over the years, to fail the easier tasks since we tend to operate on auto-pilot for these types of things. Our brains are more engaged for difficult tasks and I’d like to believe that most of us are more likely to recheck our work, sometimes multiple times, for difficult tasks…

I have just written back to them about that same bash script to archive a folder into a .zip file. I also used tar -czf but failed. I have looked around the google results and mostly they say the same thing, which is basically “to gzip a directory, use tar”. We could use cpio to create the archive, but it is not clear if that is what they want.

A few times, I’ve found interpreting the task description to be the most difficult part of a task. IIRC, the expectation for the archive task that both of you are referring to might have been to create a standard tar archive (ending in .tar) and then to gzip that file (resulting in .tar.gz vs .tgz).

Finally I agreed with KKE team explanation that zip should be used. Extention zip points exactly to that. I did not read the question carefully and seeing archived I just used tar :slight_smile:

1 Like