LINUX CHALLENGE 2 - Nginx & firewalld installed, but check status not getting passed

Have installed Nginx and firewalld as part of linux challenge 2. However, check status does not mark the task as completed.

Attached are screenshots of the same. Have also tried starting nginx services, but no luck.

Hi @Shashankgk16 ,
Can you please share your installation steps?

Regards,

Initially yum install was failing due to Centos 8 compatibility. So had to run follow commands to fix the error : CentOS-8 - AppStream 70 B/s | 38 B 00:00
Error: Failed to download metadata for repo ‘AppStream’: Cannot prepare internal mirrorlist: No URLs in mirrorlist

Commands :
cd /etc/yum.repos.d/
sudo sed -i ‘s/mirrorlist/#mirrorlist/g’ /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-*
sudo sed -i ‘s|#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org://vault.centos.org|g’ /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-*
sudo reboot

After this issue was fixed. Proceeded with nginx installation.
Commands :
sudo yum install epel-release
sudo yum provides nginx
sudo yum install nginx (i.e the version provided in previous step)
sudo systemctl enable nginx
sudo systemctl start nginx

After this, could find that nginx was started. However, clicking on check status in the challenge, didnt mark the task as completed, as attached in screenshot.

Same here. Furthermore I had to add a nameserver entry to /etc/resolv.conf which is not asked in the tasks.

Hi @Alexandre, @Shashankgk16
You do indeed need to add a nameserver - google is always a safe bet (8.8.8.8).

Rather than telling you what to do, the question is testing if you can diagnose and solve the reason why yum is not initially working. This is the kind of thing you have to be able to do in the real world if you’re going to be an SA.

Also, simply installing and running nginx is not sufficient to complete the task. You must also complete the reverse proxy configuration that is asked for.

…And some of the tasks may be dependent on each other. The proxy configuration might only be able to be validated once the go app is running (Hint: examine the nginx access log once you have completed the tasks and in particular the http status codes. If there are log lines other than you testing Bob’s access, then what do you think might be happening?)

1 Like

Hi Alistair, Thanks for your response.

I understand that there are dependencies on other tasks and there are additional steps to test our knowledge similar to real time. But, for the following task which asks only about installation of packages - Nginx and firewalld, I assume that this particular task can be marked as completed.

Task:
** Install “nginx” package.*
** Install “firewalld” package.*

Note: I have added the firewall rules and reverse proxy. Yet, the package installation tasks is not marked as completed.

Does the challenge check if all interrelated tasks are also completed.? Advise if the approach is right for the above task.

The packages task, go app and the firewall config task are standalone, but the nginx task depends on go app, although it goes without saying that you can’t do anything much without the packages

If the pakages task is marked incomplete, then you have missed something. Read it carefully. Does it ask to enable and start the services? That must be done too if stated.
(Currently using my phone so can’t see the lab)

Thanks Alistair, Yes services have been enabled and started too for firewalld and nginx. Since firewalld package and firewall config are standalone tasks, wondering why task isnt getting completed. Please have a look at the lab at your earliest convenience.

@Shashankgk16 I have sent you a private message.