I'm trying to debug the permissions of a service account with the following comm . . .

Konrad:
I’m trying to debug the permissions of a service account with the following command: kubectl auth can-i patch secrets --as=system:serviceaccount:(NAMESPACE):(SERVICEACCOUNT) . I got the username pattern for the --as flag from https://kubernetes.io/docs/reference/access-authn-authz/authentication/|this doc. It returns yes for any existing or non-existing combination of namespace/service account :confused: Does that mean that there are default permissions attached to service accounts and if so, where are they configured?

Konrad:
Yeah, in Katacoda environments there is a ClusterRoleBinding permissive-binding which attaches “cluster-admin” to the group system:serviceaccounts. Doesn’t make any sense to me:confused:

kcd clusterrolebinding permissive-binding

Name:         permissive-binding
Labels:       <none>
Annotations:  <none>
Role:
  Kind:  ClusterRole
  Name:  cluster-admin
Subjects:
  Kind   Name                    Namespace
  ----   ----                    ---------
  User   admin                   
  User   kubelet                 
  Group  system:serviceaccounts

It was pure luck to find this when I strolled through the list of role bindings. How am I supposed to do this in a production cluster with hundreds, maybe thousands of such role bindings? IMO Kubectl is lacking some important functionality here.