If the setup has student node and master and worker node. Do we need to ssh to m . . .

Neeraj Gandhi:
If the setup has student node and master and worker node. Do we need to ssh to master node to perform backup/restore of etcd? or we do this from student node?

Marco Tony:
what do you mean for student node?

Neeraj Gandhi:
I mean the base node. for the cka exam, if we are on base node, and asked to perform etcd back/restore - do we ssh to master?

Harindha Fernando:
If you have etcd client and if you have reachability to etcd server, and also if you have cacert, server cert and server key then you can do a backup

Harindha Fernando:
There are so many threads in this channel on restoring backups you can search on that… mostly we need to change the datadir and volume mount and mount path

Neeraj Gandhi:
True, my only question is if in the exam, we are asked to perform etcd backup/restore, are we beter of performing this from master by using ssh to master?

Harindha Fernando:
Due to NDA we cannot discuss on Real Exam stuff in this channel

Harindha Fernando:
You can try on building a small cluster following the GitHub repo links of KodeKloud

Neeraj Gandhi:
ok. I will try this option

Fayaz Rehman:
In any production environment, where you have multiple kubernetes clusters running, it is not possible to jump around on each controlplan/master node using ssh to run kubectl commands. To overcome this issue, it is always advisable to install kubeclt on a separate base node and setup/install kubectl separately and configure “kubectl config” for each cluster to communicate. In this way, you can run kubectl commands from the base node after establishing connection with kubectl “config use-contex xyz” to target the kubernetes cluster of your interest. Likewise you can also install etcdctl on the same base node to run your backup/restore from the base node. To do so, make sure your certs reside on the base node. In my opinion, if @Mumshad Mannambeth can include at least one “Practice Test” making use of base node to access kubernetes clusters and I am sure, this will make a big difference in understanding “what is happening in real world of kubernetes”. No doubt, the practice tests in this course are the best I have ever seen. However, we run all of our commands while sitting on the master node and obviously, we get confused when dealing with real situations.

Lakshminarayanan Krishnan:
@Neeraj Gandhi pertaining to your question, you will be specifically asked to perform the backup from a specific node (be it controlplane or one of the worker nodes). At that time, you must perform the backup only from that specific node you are instructed to perform the backup from. You will be given full information on whatever is needed for you to perform the backup, and that is enough. Practice performing the backup from all nodes so you become comfortable with the command execution.

Neeraj Gandhi:
Thank You