Hi All, can anyone help me to understand this command "kubectl run --image=busy . . .

Md Ishaq R:
Hi All, can anyone help me to understand this command “kubectl run --image=busybox:1.28 test-lookup --rm -it – nslookup nginx-resolver-service”

Marco Tony:
which part of it is not clear?

Marco Tony:
kubectl run --image=busybox:1.28 test-lookup = run a busybox:1.28 as pod named test-lookup

Md Ishaq R:
–rm and --nslookup

Marco Tony:
-- nslookup is not an option

Md Ishaq R:
test-lookup

Harindha Fernando:

• -rm will remove the pod after execution

Marco Tony:
it’s just saying the argument of the container command is nslookup nginx-resolver-service

Marco Tony:
thanks @Harindha Fernando :grin:

Harindha Fernando:
-it will give interactive terminal

Md Ishaq R:
why do we have to mention --image=busybox:1.28 when we have configured the image in the pod

Marco Tony:
when you configured it?

Md Ishaq R:
i mean when you have mentioned in the pod test-lookup

Marco Tony:
yes

Marco Tony:
the command will create a pod named test-lookup

Marco Tony:
it’s based on busybox:1.28

Md Ishaq R:
@Marco Tony cool got it thnkx :+1:

@kodekloud
In general when you want to check for network connectivity after creating a service of type ClusterIp, you need to create a pod in the clister and try to resolve the dns of that service. This is a very important check in the CKA and CKAD exams.

Here is a breakdown:
kubectl run --image=busybox:1.28 test-lookup —> this command creates a temporary pod named “test-lookup” using a busybox image with tag 1.28(this tag is used because it has the capability of doing dns lookup which is the command that comes after --)

-it ----> interactive terminal
–rm —> this deletes the pod once the the interactive session/terminal is closed(this is why it is called a temporary pod)
nslookup nginx-resolver-service ----> tries to resolve the dns of a service called nginx-resolver-service

Ask more questions if this was not very clearly explained. Cheers!