Hello, Im studying for the CKA test and a little confused about the `sudo` comma . . .

Joe:
Hello, Im studying for the CKA test and a little confused about the sudo command as Im normally a windows user and have not seen it on any of the practice quizes, but have seen a few comments about it in the channels.

I understand sudo gives elevated privileges,

What I dont understand is:
Do you need to write sudo in front of each command or does it “stick” meaning all commands afterwards get sudo privileges?
Also, what is sudo -i ? and how does it differ from just plain sudo and when would I user one over the other?
Thanks in advance.

Dr Ganesh Neelakanta Iyer:
In exam, based on the question requirements, you will be asked to use sudo -i as needed. Some times you will see permission denied when a particular operation is performed and that is when you can use sudo before them to get the right permission.

Arulanandam Sakthivel:
Hi,

Like you said… sudo gives you root privileges…

So you can use it when you get a permission denied error…

sudo -i allows you run the command from root login…

Thanks
Arul

sudo lets you run commands in your own user account with root privileges. su lets you switch user so that you’re actually logged in as root. sudo -s runs a shell with root privileges. sudo -i also acquires the root user’s environment.

Joe:
So does the sudo permission “stick” to all commands afterwards or do I need to apply sudo for each command thereafter that I need elevated permissions?

Also, for purposes of this test couldn’t I just prepend sudo -i to each command to ensure I have sufficient permissions?

Better to use it when needed.

That is what I did

Joe:
OK - thank you @Dr Ganesh Neelakanta Iyer and @Arulanandam Sakthivel