Constructive Criticism for Python Course

Hi!

I have what is hopefully some constructive criticism for the beginner Python course. I am completely new to Python, so starting from the very ground up.

The first is that the is no explanation of correct or incorrect answers on the quiz. The second is that the quizzes routinely ask questions that were not covered in the section immediately preceding the quiz. It’s very difficult to take the quiz and learn the topic when something more advanced is asked in the question, than what we’ve covered so far in the course. That distracts from the topic at hand.

The third thing is that the course boasts “hands on” quizzes and labs. I don’t think multiple choice quizzes count as hands on, especially with no explanation after the quiz.

Thanks!

1 Like

The Python course should just be pulled down from the KodeKloud site. There are so many tutorials and guides and projects out there that are so, so much better for Python. Instead of this joke of a “course” on Python, KK should just point to some good resources and say “come back when you’re familiar with Python.”

Furthermore, while every roadmap and guide to devops under the sun mentions “you should know Python,” I have yet to actually run into anything that clearly and concisely explains WHY you need to know Python. I know that Python is a popular scripting language, and I have learned from other sources that it’s commonly used to build custom tooling and automation scripts for DevOps applications, but I learned that by surfing around the internet with queries like “python for devops.”

I have yet to find a good, straightforward explanation of the role of a scripting language in DevOps that comes with examples of use. I don’t know “how much Python is enough Python for DevOps.” I don’t know when it would be useful to write a Python script instead of a bash script. I don’t know any of this stuff, because all any roadmap or article or class ever says is “learn Python.”

It is, so far, probably my single biggest roadblock and gripe and sticking point along my path to employability.

I think it’s mostly for job posting and requirements, they just mention python as an option for scripting because it’s popular, not really a must have. I think the more important thing is that you know how to write scripts in some form or another. Personally we most use powershell but I want to be able to put Python and bash on my resume for visibility reasons. But I agree with you for sure, this course is not great. I’m going to finish it because I already started it but I’ll be looking for better courses after that.

Alright I’m over 50% of the way through this thing at it’s garbage. Needs to be taken down. There is really no value in having a 2 min long video barley explaining base concepts then “quizzing” over things you didn’t even cover in the lesson. Useless.

1 Like