A year later than my first attempt I have cleared the CKA with 77% I think the . . .

Jim Hamill:
A year later than my first attempt I have cleared the CKA with 77%

I think the new format was much better compared to the 3 hour exam and the topics are more focused and less broad. It was also better to focus in a two hour window but it is very tight for time and I did not have much time to test my answers but was able to answer the questions I skipped at first glance.

My tips for this exam would be:

• Know ETCD backup/restore, Kubeadm upgrade, cluster troubleshooting, network policies, RBAC and ingress inside out.
• Head for the biggest mark question first, then tackle as many 7 percents as possible (flag ones taking too much time and come back) then move to the 4 percents and these should be easy marks, however this may just be up to preference.
• Study the 2020 changes to know which topics to focus on and leave out: https://training.linuxfoundation.org/cka-program-changes-2020/
• Be sure to use the kubectl reference docs and Ctrl/Cmd + F to quickly see if you can carry out the command imperatively and if there are any flags that will help you.
• Autocompletion was essential for time saving for me, also exporting the dry run and yaml output flags eg:
export d="—dry-run=client -o yaml"
kubectl run <podname> —-image <imagename> $d > pod.yaml

Mumshad’s course was excellent and completing it with the labs is enough to pass the exam, the lectures and support in this channel have been such a help. I also used the killer.sh simulator for extra interactive practice to sharpen up the weekend before.

Thanks again for the course and help!

Andrew:
Does this doc have all info required to upgrade cluster in exams or we are expected to do other thing as well?

https://kubernetes.io/docs/tasks/administer-cluster/kubeadm/kubeadm-upgrade/

Andrew:
Also, are we expected to create custom ingress or we can directly use the examples from the doc?

would you please explain the line ?

Hello, @Nasri
Actually that’s the format error. Originally it looks like this.

export d="—dry-run=client -o yaml"
kubectl run <podname> —-image <imagename> $d > pod.yaml

@Tej-Singh-Rana thank you , I thought it was a new language :smiley:

Does the package ‘bash-completion’ works in the kubernetes environment?

Obviously It will. If it’s not available then install it with the package manager.

@Tej-Singh-Rana
It is installed by default bot does not complete a command with double tab! I have to write whole commands such as kubectl get pods

@Nasri you must install bash-completion and run kubectl completion bash, as shown in this link Install Tools | Kubernetes

1 Like

Hello, @Nasri
In which env you are trying?
Yes, To install the bash completion follow Francilio link and to activate for the kubectl utility please have a look in the below link. Definitely it will help you.

1 Like

we also can use of alias command such as

alias kg=‘kubectl get’
alias kc=‘kubectl create -f’
and so on.

Then we can use them to speed up or tasks .
kg pods
kc deployment.yaml.

1 Like

Can is use Kubectl autocomplete in the exam? I gave a try in 2020 sept and i had that situation where the auto complete was not working and i ended up trying all commands.